Saturday 16 April 2016

The Silent Twin: Caroline Mitchell

 The Silent Twin Caroline Mitchell




The following review is also posted on Amazon US & UK and Goodreads


What a fabulous book this is! Once I started reading it I quickly became engrossed in the story and really didn't appreciate any interruption from anyone because I didn't want to put it down. Definitely a 'world go away' book!

This is the first book I've read by Caroline Mitchell and it certainly won't be the last. This is the third book in the DC Jennifer Knight crime thriller series but can be enjoyed as a stand alone. 

A child Abigail, one of twins, has gone missing from a distinctly spooky dank and dark farmhouse recently bought by their parents. DC Jennifer Knight who has some other-worldly spiritual gifts, has been assigned as FLO to the family and from her supportive position tries to help the investigative team to work out exactly what happened and if possible bring Abigail home.

There are quite a few suspects within or close to the family with pasts and secrets to hide and first I suspected one, then another until I just didn't know anymore! The denouement at the end was revealed slowly with a nail-biting tension.

The emotive subject of a missing child was handled very sensitively by the author and there weren't any gratuitous scenes of violence included.

I'm interested in the paranormal, but on the whole prefer not to read about it in fiction but in this book the subject was introduced very naturally into the narrative in a credible way without any suspension of belief by me and wasn't an over-the-top part of the whole story, which was in essence a well-written psychological drama. Highly recommended.

I was very kindly given an ARC by the publisher for an unbiased review.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, I'm thrilled with this review and so pleased you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome. I was so engrossed in the book, I missed your author interview in Crime Fiction Club. Lol :)

    ReplyDelete